Warung A Bell!

Finally everyone arrived; Cry-Baby was staying at a 5 star resort just 100 metres walk from our guest house, MIA guy and Tourist girl found a budget place in Kuta. My inner alcoholic was satisfied enough after a bottle of Bintang only to make me super hungry. Just couldn’t wait to dig into some chicken. The first question instructor asked me on our way to grab beer “Are you a vegetarian or non-vegetarian?” the answer was pretty quick, I can’t do without Non-veg food once out and travelling. I could see his happy face as all he had for last few days was vegetarian hard-to-find food with Cry-baby.
My Precious! Bintang!
Me + Hungry = Boom! POW! Combination, hunger makes me less interesting and crankier especially when I have to choose out of all options to eat. All I could see around were numerous Warungs;  the Warungs look different across different places in Bali some may look shabby, some may look like bamboo shack, some may look unhygienic or some may look like next door restaurant  but they all one thing in common cheap, delicious non-vegetarian food. Also I would suggest don’t go on the looks of a Warung just try it once for sake of experience I am sure you would love the amount of money you are paying for so much food you can have there that even though you didn’t like their appearance in first place, you would want to eat at Warungs for the rest of your trip. The Warung funda is very simple they charge you as per you eat- with choice of having variety of curries, chicken, egg, pork, beef with either rice or noodles or both. Also a must try is Soto Ayam if you like chicken and ramen steamed in broth I personally find it food for patients, but instructor loved it, my personal favourite would be cap cay which is better version of Soto Ayam with less broth and more veggies and some spices. Overall the Balinese cuisine is a good to learn eating with chopsticks if you miss the experimental person in you.


We also tried eating at Night Market which has a lot more variety than Warungs; it is more like eating at Chowpatty but Balinese food. Also, not miss is the local fish fry, they have a very simple grill fish preparation with minimal spices, but the fish was really juicy and wholesome. From day one the instructor kept asking for a fish that sounded like “reecha reecha”, he was sure he ate this one on one of the islands long time back and  he really seemed to have liked the taste otherwise he wouldn’t have harped on it.Thus began hunt for “reecha reecha”, each time we asked for this fish the restaurants either said a clear no or gave a surprised look. On our last day in Bali, the instructor gave a final try to find that fish and although we already ordered one, he asked the waiter for “reecha reecha”, the waiter pounced back saying “We no reecha reecha”, I don’t know if waiter was curious to know why these Indians are asking for “reecha reecha”, he promptly said in Bali “reecha reecha” means dog, there was a silent pause to gather the thought that all this while we were asking for a dog everywhere, I just couldn’t stop rolling in the aisles. Poor Instructor he was definitely hoping to kill the waiter who suggested him the name of the fish.
 Our dinners were usually accompanied with Bintang or Teh Botol- Indonesia’s special iced tea in glass bottles similar to pepsi or coke bottles.  Also look out for some promotional events around beaches, we accidentally landed into a promotional event of beer brand called “Bali Hai”, and got ourselves dirt cheap bucket of beers, although the beer was not as good as Bintang, Bali Hai tasted like some fruit beer and couldn’t get me high as well.

“The Bucketlist” fans can also try their taste buds for Kopi Luwak, I wanted to try it from the moment I saw Lee Min Ho posters promoting it but each time I dared to ask for it all I could picture was a wild cat and their poop, good luck with Kopi Luwak if you can ever get that picture out of your head.  For all the ice-cream bonkers like me this place is never short of ice-cream, you might not find a medical store but you will most definitely find an ice cream parlour every 15 minutes if you decide on walking. I can still remember that heavenly feeling when I can find two of the most important things at every nook – beer and ice-cream, what else can I be expecting from life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets!

ADVENTURES OF SAYALI - A NEW FOUND FREEDOM

On the Mushrooms Trail!